URJ Kutz Camp is a welcoming and engaging 29-day summer experience for teens from around the world to live in an environment that celebrates each individual, is committed to deep learning and leadership development, lifts up the opportunity for reciprocal learning between teens and adults, and celebrates Judaism with passion and joy.
For summer 2019, choose one of five immersives:
The Kutz program helps teens broaden their perspectives and spheres of influence through:
- An intentional focus on leadership development through a lens of Reform Jewish values
- Deep learning and skill development in one of seven different immersive learning blocks
- Participation in unique affinity-based Fellowships that begin in the summer and extend through the school year
- Access to Master Classes with professionals from both the secular and Jewish world
- A camp-wide leadership curriculum, ensuring that every teen leaves camp equipped to define their leadership trajectory
- All of the fun and wonder of Jewish summer camp
Kutz is the right place for teens who:
- Want to create a customized personal summer experience that is rooted in high-level learning and deeply engaging peer-leadership
- Are engaged or want to be engaged in leadership roles in their communities
- Thrive for authentic adult/teen partnerships in learning, collaboration, and mentorship
- Feel deeply connected to helping to ensure a more just and compassionate world
- Are invigorated when engaged in meaningful Jewish learning and cultural experiences
- Are proud of being Jewish, and strive to ensure that the future of Reform Judaism will thrive
- Want to have a meaningful, fun, and enriching summer
For fifty-three years, Kutz has been home to tens of thousands of teen leaders who have gone on to become leaders in the Jewish and secular world.
Check out what a typical day at Kutz looks like!
The Master Classes will happen throughout the summer, some of which are week-long, some are session-long, and each is taught by an expert in their field of study. Master Classes will include topics such as:
- Culinary Arts
- Developing College Applications
- Digital Media
- First Aid and CPR Certification
- Graphic Design
- Israeli Dance
- Jewish Text Study
- Leveraging Social Media
- Lifeguard Certification
- Madrichim (Religious School Teaching Assistant) Training
- Master Composition and Songwriting
- Spirituality and Mindfulness
- Theater and Improv
Each teen will have the opportunity to opt into a session-long Fellowship, which lifts up collaborative peer-learning and is hosted by young professionals in a specific affinity area. Each Fellowship will take significant role in developing all-camp programming and t’filah, participate in out-of-camp trips that align with their Fellowship, and develop skills for practical application. The Fellowships will also have the opportunity to continue their work throughout the year. Some of the Fellowships planned for 2018 include:
- Global Jewish Engagement - bringing together a mix of North American and international teens to collaborate on the intersection of global Jewry and the teen space
- B'tzelem Elohim - an opportunity to enjoy camp with teens on the Autism spectrum, and learn lifelong skills around the inclusion of people with unique abilities.
- Sports and Fitness - Focus on health, wellness, and fitness around our beautiful campus.
- Digital Media - Get into the recording studio and explore video, podcasting, and the creation of a camp radio show.
- Mussar and Mindfulness – gain a deeper understanding of meditation, yoga, wellness, and spirituality rooted in Jewish and secular texts and how these translate into everyday life
- Performing Arts - Improv, theater, dance, and movement as an expression of creativity, and utilizing these modes of expression to lift up issues most relevant to teens
- Teva and Tower – take advantage of the amazing Appalachian Trail by enjoying hiking, nature, and learning skills around the Alpine Tower.
Kutz is also proud to have scores of general camp activities including:
- Alpine Tower
- Fitness Center
- Running Groups
- Ultimate Frisbee